Environmental Efforts, Initiatives and Strategies
Actions speak louder than words. We’ve proactively transformed EarthColor to become a leader in sustainability within the print communications industry, setting a new standard for printers, our suppliers and our customers — and for ourselves.
EarthColor supports large scale protected area proposals in endangered forests ecosystems by bringing our market strength to bear vis-a-vis engaging governments responsible for legislating the protected areas. Our program promotes Conservation & Preservation first followed by Bio-Integrity and the sustainable Bio-Integration of the harvesting of our forests for human needs. Our goal is to promote “zero deforestation globally”. We have done this for the Great Bear Rainforest in British Columbia and the Broadback forest in Quebec and the Leuser Ecosystem in Indonesia. We are committed to further actions to ensure realization of these protected areas. We continue to work with our suppliers and our clients to develop transparency in chain of custody and pulp supply chains to insure we do not source papers that contain fiber from these forests. We will actively advise our clients to this regard in making their paper choices. Look for some updates on some of these initiatives in our new sustainability report due out July of 2015. We do not buy paper from controversial paper manufacturers who have poor human rights and illegal logging records and also actively advice our clients on the integrity of their paper choices.
New G4 reporting guidelines invite companies to report on the effect of operations on endangered species. We continuously review our supply chains and work with our ENGO partners in peer reviews to ensure the paper we source does not impact threatened and endangered species such as the caribou in Canada’s.
Our FSC paper use has gone from 48% annually to 65% of total paper purchased in 2014. We are actively talking to small land owners in supporting them in looking to FSC certification. EarthColor recycles 99.5% of manufacturing waste on an annual basis.
We’re proud of our successes so far and are constantly thinking of ways to improve further in the future. Here are just a few of our achievements to date:
- Greenhouse gas management plan
- Tri-certified in international forestry standards including:
- Renewable energy management plan
- Comprehensive wood pulp & paper merchandise management policy
- Earth•Aware® Paper — the first carbon-managed web paper on the market
- Successful employment of green chemistry principles
- Waterless printing capabilities
- 98% of manufacturing waste is recycled
- Zero storm water run-off
- State-of-the-art technology innovation for on-site real-time greenhouse gas sequestration
- Minimized airborne emissions
- Partnered with leading NGOs supporting forest conservation, sustainable development and poverty-alleviation.