At EarthColor, we think that eco-engineering practices are so important in minimizing the environmental impact of printed material that we are continuing the conversation. The three case studies presented here represent more ways we are partnering with you, our clients and suppliers, to “keep it green” and ultimately preserve and protect our natural resources.
In one story, we partnered with a client to streamline and simplify their brand communication process altogether by re-designing and re-defining their approach to delivering their message on a consistent level. We introduced more sustainable materials and energy savings to reduce their overall carbon footprint. And we worked together to create a more efficient, greener system that will eliminate waste by meeting product demand on an as-needed basis.
For others, we brainstormed greener design and procurement practices, reducing or completing eliminating non-renewable material in favor of more eco-efficient alternatives.
All of our client partners benefit from our attention to detail throughout the life cycle of our eco-engineering practices, from early design and procurement systems to day-to-day operations that use renewable energy, to our ultimate management of waste and recycling efforts in each of our facilities. Our lower carbon footprint translates into a lower carbon footprint for you.
The additional case studies that follow demonstrate more ways that EarthColor can partner with you to find more ways to “keep it green” with sustainable eco-engineering solutions that yield measurable environmental results for all of us.
Case Study #4: Digital Mail Campaign
The goal was to assist a major Pharmaceutical client eliminate product obsolescence by converting its marketing kit campaign from a print-warehouse-distribution model to a P.O.D. (print-on-demand) campaign. At the same time, the client wanted a more sustainable end product.
Solution: Use FSC®-certified paper with 30% PCW content that was elemental chlorine free. Minimize the carbon footprint by printing with 100% renewable energy credits (RECs) to offset the carbon signature of the paper and manufacturing process. Convert to more efficient integrated communication, personalization and campaign management to increase ROI and response rate.
- 18% gain in ROI and response rate
- 0.06 acres preserved via sustainable forestry
- 50 fewer trees consumed via recycling
- 10,263 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 0.38 homes for a year
- 2.7 metric tons of greenhouse gases reduced – equivalent of taking 0.54 cars off
the road for a year
- 18,314 fewer gallons of water consumed
Case Study #5: Packaging
The goal was to reduce the environmental impact of a client’s annual packaging requirements.
Solution: Redesign the package to eliminate its plastic tray component. Convert the paperboard used to FSC®-certified material with 10% PCW content.
- 15 acres preserved via sustainable forestry
- 7,205 fewer trees consumed via recycling
- 1,468,524 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 55 homes for a year
- 423 metric tons of greenhouse gases reduced – equivalent of taking 85 cars off
the road for a year
- 2,620,139 fewer gallons of water consumed
Case Study #6: Large Format POP
The goal was to find a more sustainable alternative to the vinyl previously used for 500 banners measuring 8 feet x 24 feet.
Solution: Print the banners on 100% recycled (and recyclable) polyester material using 100% renewable wind energy purchased with RECs (recycled energy credits).
- The equivalent of 313,600 500mL plastic water bottles diverted from landfills
- 2,775,000 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 104 homes for a year
- 1,692 metric tons of greenhouse gases reduced – equivalent of taking 340 cars off
the road for a year.
These case studies are more examples of how EarthColor partners with clients to develop effective eco-engineering consistent with our goal to ensure a greener, more sustainable Earth. You will find other examples highlighted in our 2015-2016 Sustainability Report. If you’re interested in receiving a copy, please fill out the form here.