Our partnership with you is one of the cornerstones of our efforts to utilize more effective environmental engineering principles. At EarthColor, our end goal is to work with you to develop measurable ways to “keep it green” – ensuring that your printed products reflect the latest and most effective best practices of eco-engineering that we have at our disposal.
Eco-engineering starts with an approach to innovative design that may translate into a leaner re-design with fewer or smaller components. Or, it may involve a complete re-tooling or re-engineering of the way we print and manufacture your product. Either way, you are involved every step of the way as our partner in this process.
We next make sure that the raw material we use is sourced from suppliers who follow responsible forestry practices and maintain chain-of-custody certification to FSC®, SFI® and/or PEFC™ international standards. Our papers are free of toxic chemicals, contain pre- and post-consumer waste (PCW) and are both carbon-managed and climate-balanced.
Finally, effective eco-engineering practices must take into account the end of a product’s life cycle and its effective management – from recycling and waste management programs to the purchase of RECs (recycled energy credits) and other environmental incentives.
The following case studies exemplify how EarthColor is working with clients like you to “keep it green” with sustainable solutions that yield measurable environmental savings.
Case Study #1: Marketing Collateral for Advertising
The goal was to produce collateral for an advertising project that was printed sustainably with minimum environmental impact, yet deliver a final product with a high-end look and feel.
Solution: Switch to an uncoated, recyclable paper stock with 100% post-consumer waste (PCW) content. Minimize the carbon footprint by using 100% renewable energy credits (RECs) to offset the carbon signature of both paper and manufacturing.
- 05 acres preserved via sustainable forestry
- 41 less trees consumed via recycling
- 8,353 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 0.31 homes for a year
- 4 metric tons of greenhouse gases reduced – equivalent of taking 0.80 cars off the road for a year
- 14,834 fewer gallons of water consumed
Case Study #2: Corporate Communications
The goal was to collaborate with a Fortune 500 client to develop a set of environmental criteria and a sustainable logistical manufacturing process to reduce the footprint of their annual and sustainability reports.
Solution: Print using UV inks and coatings with reduced VOCs. Convert to EarthColor’s Earth.Aware® paper, which is FSC®-certified, elemental chlorine free, climate managed, and contains 10% PCW material. Minimize the carbon footprint by printing with 100% renewable energy (RECs) to offset the carbon signature of the paper and manufacturing process.
- 1 acre preserved via sustainable forestry
- 565 fewer trees consumed via recycling
- 114,627 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 6 homes a year
- 612.3 metric tons of greenhouse gas reduced and offset – equivalent of taking 123 cars off the road for a year
- 206,213 fewer gallons of water consumed
Case Study #3: Publishing
The goal was to minimize the economic and environmental impact of a 36-page project with 48,000 pieces to be printed each month for a full year.
Solution: Reduce the size of each piece by approximately 15% — from 8.75” x 10.875” to 7.75” x 10.5”. Use 70# coated FSC®-certified paper that contained 50% post-consumer waste (PCW).
- Total paper usage decreased by 2,500 lbs.
- 22 acres preserved via sustainable forestry
- 105 fewer trees consumed via recycling
- 21,321 kWh less energy used – equivalent of powering 0.80 homes for a year
- 6.1 metric tons of greenhouse gases reduced – equivalent of taking 1.23 cars off
the road for a year
- 38,039 fewer gallons of water consumed
These case studies are examples of how EarthColor partners with clients to develop effective eco-engineering efforts that are consistent with our goal to ensure a greener, more sustainable Earth. You will find other examples highlighted in our 2015-2016 Sustainability Report. If you’re interested in receiving a copy, please fill out the form here.